Thursday, September 11, 2008

I hate hiking...I love hiking...I hate it...I love it.

For labor day I thought I would try and kill myself. So at 6:00 AM I rounded up some of the neighborhood homeless guys and took off to go hike Mt. Olympus. For some reason I think I'm a good hiker and fun to hike with but apparently I'm unusually slow up the mountain and kind of a psycho, lunatic with a split personality. I'm an emotional wreck. That is what the guys tell me anyway. The funny thing is I only remember the good parts like taking a break to see if I can still feel my legs, taking the summit, eating treats at the top, Molcasalsa and the hot tub with the homeless after. Only after I see the pictures do I remember that I hated 83% of the 4 1/2 hour hike. And here is why... my kids decided not to sleep the night before, I got up way too early, I had a headache, my legs were burning from the parking lot, it was cold and wet, everyone was going way faster than me, politics were being discussed (fortunately I couldn't hear most of the discussion as I was way behind) and as soon as we got to the top it turned cloudy and got real quiet, then came the lightning, thunder and the hailstorm. After sprinting off the top (lighting scares me) we hid under a tree. (I know stupid idea, but there aren't a whole lot of places to hide on a 9,026 foot mountain except for a tree). I called Nicole to let her know I was OK and all she had to say was "don't die we don't have life insurance!" Does that mean if we had life insurance that it is OK for me to die? I need to talk to her about that. Anyway, we made it back and here are the pics that show the emotional roller coaster that I go through pretty much every time I hike.

I hate hiking. We're not even close to the top yet.

Still hating it. Just closer to the top.


Now I'm getting excited. So excited that I pull out half of a rock on hand signal. We're 20 feet from the top.

View from the top. I love hiking so much.

On the summit. I love hiking. It is so fun I wish I could do it every day.

Not that happy here. In a cloud bank...thunder and lightning closing in. I'm one of the tallest things around for miles.........starting to hate hiking.


Now I'm angry. I hate hiking, hail storms on mountains and that stupid yellow rain thingy.

Back safely. Simmering at 109 degrees in the tub. I love hiking! Anyone want to go hiking? I really want to hike Twin Peak next.

8 comments:

Jill said...

Yep, that's pretty much how Eddy described it. (You I mean) Glad you didn't stay in bed like some people and that you're always up for an adventure.

swensen squeeze said...

You sound (read) like a girl! OK, so I admit, I missed going on that hike to experience lack of sleep, cold temps, tired legs, lack of oxygen, lightning, wet conditions, and 4 1/2 hours of exhaustion. Glad you all made it back alive. (Dan)

April Kennedy said...

I was going to say the same thing...you sound like a mom. "not much sleep...woke up with a headache" too funny. Great pictures. Keep posting! Tell Nicole that although I enjoy your posting, and am thrilled that you are keeping it up...I really do miss her =(

Unknown said...

I am seriously about to pee my pants right now! How funny!! I feel the same way about hiking! I'm still laughing!

Nelson said...

Still no life insurance!
We have begged you guys for years now to get some. What will it take? Do we need to bribe you again, and not follow through (neighborhood = fax machine)?
You did sound like a girl, but it was entertaining.

Andrea Nalene Rasmussen said...

I remember this one time Nicole called you a Weiny. I still laugh so much when I hear her disgusted voice in my head saying at her not masculine husband "Stop being such a weiny." Nha ha ha hah ha. .... you are one.

Matt said...

Funny ftuff. What a whiner! Age is catching up to you my friend! I am, however, happy you guys made it back alive. I want to hike!

Cameron Peterson said...

I beg to disagree, you sounded like a boy, a true and honest boy. At the slightest change or slightest ailment, waa. Just kidding, your guys are awesome, but I have to admit at about picture "at the top" in real life time, I was laughing my head off. (or maybe it was when you were all huddled under a tree, I pictured it alot different in my mind, not as funny in pic..)But in case you haven't noticed and for future reference...(I thought it was me but now I know) Cam brings with him storms in one form or another. I think it's his even-keeled ness that attracts the inclementness that swarms him and his constituancy when he ventures into the elements. Something to watch for and always bring a light weather proof pain of pants for. I can't wait to hear how Twin Peaks went. I look forward to hearing about what happened on your blog. Hopefully things went better, i.e. SANS politics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!